Pages

My favorite poem

Perhaps this could have stayed unstated.
Had our words turned to other things
In the grey park, the rain abated,
Life would have quickened other strings.
I list your gifts in this creation:
Pen, paper, ink and inspiration,
Peace to the heart with touch or word,
Ease to the soul with note and chord.

How did that walk, those winter hours,
Occasion this? No lightning came;
Nor did I sense, when touched by flame,
Our story lit with borrowed powers -
Rather, by what our spirits burned,
Embered in words, to us returned.

Read this in the the epigraph to An Equal Music by Vikram Seth, fell in love with it instantly, maybe also because i was going through the motions of picking up broken pieces of my life and instantly identified with the poem. Today almost 6 to 7 years thence, it still evokes feelings and memories unparalleled. I still wish to have the ability to put in the words the sentiments above.
I guess my feelings are best expressed by VS's last line in "Dubious" from Mappings:"What is my status: Stray? Or Great?"
In my moments of raw desolation and bleakness, i still wonder whether my life would have been different and happier if i had taken a few decisions differently ?
The play is obviously in the fact that i will never ever know. I guess its just the temporal nature of all things in my life for the last few months that add to it and aggravate it.


3 comments:

Runa said...

hmm...life is always different for everybody if you put a few things here and there.

boomshak said...

What you need, if I am to trust my degree professor, is a good reading of Tamburlaine by Marlowe. Read it again if you have read it before, which in all likelihood you might have.

chitra said...

i came.i read. i commented